Arthroscopic surgery in Dubai
Arthroscopic knee surgery in Dubai is performed using an arthroscope, a viewing instrument, to consider the knee joint to diagnose knee problems. It is a safe procedure, and most patients are discharged on the same day of surgery.
The knee joint is a complex joint of the body:
- A lower leg bone forms a joint with the shinbone.
- A small bone called the patella rests on the front side of the femoral end.
- The lower end of the femur meets the upper end of the shinbone at the joint.
To allow painless, smooth motion of the knee, the surfaces of these bones are covered with a shiny white slippery material known as articular cartilage. In addition, two C-shaped cartilaginous menisci are present between the ends of the femur shinbone.
Menisci act as shock absorbers providing safety to the joints. Menisci also provide important stability and load bearing to the knee joint.
Reasons for Knee arthroscopy
The knee joint is prone to a variety of injuries/ issues. The common knee problems where knee arthroscopy is usually recommended for diagnosis and treatment are
- Torn meniscus
- Torn pieces of articular cartilage
- Torn or damaged cruciate ligament
- Misalignment of patella
- Inflamed synovial tissue
- Baker’s cyst (a fluid-filled cyst developed at the back of the knee.)
- Certain fractures of the knee bones
The procedure of Knee arthroscopy
- Knee arthroscopy is performed under general anaesthesia. Your anesthesiologist will decide the dose, depending on your age and health condition.
- The surgeon makes two-three small incisions around the knee.
- Next, a saline solution is injected into the knee to move various internal structures. This provides a clear view for the surgeon and more room to work.
- An arthroscope is a thin pipe-like object with a tiny video camera on end, inserted through incisions towards the knee joint. The structures inside the knee are easily visible to the surgeon on a monitor in the operating room.
- The surgeon then examines the structures inside the knee joint to reach the cause of the problem.
- Once a cause is found, surgical instruments are inserted through the alternate incision, and the repair is as per the diagnosis.
The repair may include any of the following:
- Removal or repair of a torn meniscus
- Realignment of the patella
- Removal of torn pieces of articular cartilage
- Removal of inflamed synovial tissue
- Reconstruction of a torn cruciate ligament
- After repairing, the knee joint is examined for bleeding or other damage.
- Removal of loose fragments of bones
- Removal of baker’s cyst
- Finally, the incisions are closed, and the knee is protected with a sterile dressing
Care After the Surgery
Most patients are usually discharged from the hospital on the same day after knee arthroscopy. Recovery after the procedure depends on the type of repair performed. Recovery from knee sports injuries treatment in Dubai is often fast. However, recovery from some complicated procedures takes a little longer. Nevertheless, recovery from knee arthroscopy is much faster than open knee surgery.
Pain killers are prescribed to handle pain. Knee braces may be recommended for the first several weeks. A rehabilitation exercise program may also be advised for a speedy recovery. Therapeutic exercises aim to strengthen and restore motion of the leg and knee muscles.
If you are looking for an arthroscopic knee surgery clinic in Dubai, contact or book an appointment with Dr Sabri, an experienced orthopaedic, to consult.